Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, July 24, 2006

VIVA THE VETO

by Anne G. Davies


After nearly six years I've cast a veto
And I must admit the power feels sweet-o.

With a stroke of my pen I killed the ambitions
Of those godless stem cell coalitions
Who crassly deny that embryos frozen
Are truly human, though left unchosen.

Potent forces were arrayed against me;
Even Bill Frist inveighed against me.
I was shocked to see many Republicans fail me
Did they really think they could derail me?
I'm the Decider and what I decide
No two-bit Congress dares override.

The Innocents rescued from the slaughter
Might someday be your son or daughter
(Though embryos I've fiercely guarded,
may end as waste, to be discarded.)
I'm a kind man; I pity human afflictions
As long as they suit my higher convictions.

In one fell swoop I earned God's grace
And galvanized my strongest base.


Anne G. Davies is a fund-raising writer by profession and a writer and versifier by avocation. Her work has been published on local and regional papers. She lives in Lexington, Massachusetts.