Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

AUGUST 6, 1945

by Robert M. Chute


     As I came out of the matinee, squinting
into the afternoon sun, the sidewalks
glittered with silvery chips I hadn't noticed
     when I went in —

     The Jacksonville evening paper headlined
a new kind of bomb we'd dropped on a city
they called Hiroshima. The Greyhound bus
took all night to cross north Florida
to the air base. With a day's leave left
     I hung out in town.

     I remember the sea of dark faces parting
to let me join the flow of whites out
into a glittering afternoon, into a world
where everything had changed and yet
     nothing had changed.


Robert M. Chute has a book from JustWrite Books, Reading Nature, of poetry based on scientific articles, that is available from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
________________________________________