Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, December 15, 2008

THESE SHOES ARE MADE FOR THROWIN'

by Earl J. Wilcox

after Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra

You say you’ve done something for us

Something we can’t seem to see is true.

You been messin’ where you ought not to be messin'

Now I’ve got something here for only Y O U.


These shoes are made for throwin’

And throwin’ is what I’ll do

I take both of ‘em off right here today

And throw them both at Y O U.


You keep lyin' when you ought to be truthin’

We’re losing and you know it’s true

But I got a pair of number tens on today

That I’m throwin' right at Y O U.


These shoes are made for throwin’

And throwin’s what I’ll do

I’m takin’ both of em’ off right here today

And throwin’ them both at Y O U.


Earl J. Wilcox writes about aging, baseball, literary icons, politics, and southern culture. His work appears in more than two dozen journals; he is a regular contributor to The New Verse News.
_______________________________