Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

THOUGHTS FROM A MANHATTAN TRADE-STER

by Natasha Hunte


Harvard grads pimped houses on the               market
while airlines made jets nobody would        fly
     I need more dough to sleep safe.

All day I eat Cipralex® with no                                   prescription
My doc could acquiesce and rev up my          addiction
     swallowing feels only 50% free.

When my stocks dived, my wife lost her                                             interest
couldn’t stand up to a deep cut in                      pedicures
     love isn’t made free.

When I close my right hand, I want to feel some                                             green
don’t tell me less is more, about Buddha and planting          love
feed that to the Bronx.


Natasha Hunte graduated from the MA Literature program at the University of New Orleans. Her works “Free” and "Buttered Bread" were published in Yemassee, and “Buttered Bread” was nominated for The Pushcart Prize. Her essay, "Soccer, Jefferson and the Truth" won first place in the graduate division within the Louisiana Association for College Composition Statewide Writing contest, and her poem “Abandonded Abode” won honourable mention in the graduate division of that category. An American of Caribbean parentage, she currently lives in Switzerland and is a member of Geneva Writer's Group and Zurich Writer's Group.
___________________________________________