Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Monday, January 30, 2012

SONNET FROM THE AMERICAN

by Judith Morehouse


Wikipedia, how did I miss thee? Let me count the ways.
I missed thee to the depth and breadth and height
That false information can reach, when the answer was out of sight
And I tripped during the researching race.
I missed thee to the level of everyday’s
Most urgent need, when the fist of knowledge was tight.
I missed thee freely: I have no money;
I missed thee purely, knowledge from error.
I missed thee with a passion, for thy uncensored wealth.
I missed thee with a mind that I seemed to lose
With my lost internet,--- I missed thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if SOPA should pass,
I shall but miss thee more after death.


Editor's Note: This poem was written in a responsive style. Lines were alternately written by Judith Morehouse and Sarah Graf. The complete poem was edited by Judith Morehouse who holds all rights to the poem.

Judith Morehouse is a performer and poet. She is currently preparing the role of Inez in Verdi's opera Il Trovatore and the role of Yente in Fiddler on the Roof. In her sparse, spare time, she keeps up with politics and reads.

_____________________________________________________