Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

DROUGHT: GUARDIAN OF RAIN

by Elizabeth Kerlikowske 

Source (according to Bing search): http://bleachasylum.com/threads/18802-v56-IchiRuki-FC-The-Story-of-Destiny-Begins/page60

I’m uninvited to the ceremony
of celestial awakening.  Everyone
knew I would show up anyway.
My family are travelers: El Nino,
La Nina, Flooding, my fraternal twin.
Like any tourist, I love a choice spot
but the longer I stay, the crisper
the roadsides become.  Hatchlings
dry up in their nests. I don’t love that.
All living things cede their energy to me,
that guest who can’t leave soon enough.
When “apocalyptic” is my descriptor,
I feel my power, don’t you? I’m smiling,
the sun is shining, smiling on you, wilting.
My dry skin has no borders.
The oven’s on.


Elizabeth Kerlikowske reports here on what is happening in the Midwest..
_____________________________________________________