Guidelines



Submission Guidelines: Send unpublished poems in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to nvneditor[at]gmail.com. No simultaneous submissions. Use "Verse News Submission" as the subject line. Send a brief bio. No payment. Authors retain all rights after 1st-time appearance here. Scroll down the right sidebar for the fine print.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

RANDOM ACTS AND HEARTACHE

by Lynnie Gobeille


I lived out in the mountains of Colorado
One could say I spent my Youth out there
Spent it with wild passion
Spent it foolishly.
In the winter I’d come
Crashing down mountains
Skies strapped to my feet
In the spring I’d climb
Up those same mountains
Above Timberline
And begin again
To believe in God and Love and Hope.
I left a husband back there
A son
Have thought of them both quite often.
I spent last night
Sipping on a glass of Bourbon
Goggling their names
Search engine running
Beating as fast as my heart
Wondering why
It takes hearing of a mass shooting
To create the need the want the desire
To hear their voices
One last time.


Lynnie Gobeille is one of the co-founders of  The Origami Poems Project, a world wide “free poetry event” based in Rhode Island. She has  published in The Sow's Ear Review, Crone’s Nest, The Avatar, The Prairie Home Companion, This I Believe (NPR), New Verse News, The Providence Journal (Poetic License) and The Naugatuck River Review.  Her  micro-chapbooks have been published by The Origami Poems Project.
_____________________________________________________